5 GOONIES STARS ✬ THE HOT SHOT ✬ KRISTEN CALLIHAN

| On
Sunday, April 16, 2017

THE HOT SHOT

Game On #4

by

Kristen Callihan


 ✬✬✬ 5 GOONIES STARS  ✬✬✬






Chess is a photographer and she landed a job which requires her to take pics of the New Orleans football team. In. The. Nude. On a regular day the bodies of models, athletes or actors are shapes and shadows. Today she has Finn, quarterback of the team, before her lens and while he rubbed her the wrong way from the start, she does everything to ease his discomfort.

Finn isn't happy about the shoot, he hates being reduced to his body. He is a bit of a jerk towards Chess and he'll probably be the first to admit it but when she shows him kindness he opens up and his flirty side comes out to play. Despite their issues and misgivings in the beginning they connect during the shoot.


She isn’t the sweetly pretty or stunningly beautiful kind of woman I usually spend time with. She’s severe, elegant. It would be easy for me to say she isn’t my type. But I’m fairly certain that goes both ways. And I’m beginning to think my “type” has just changed.

They become fast friends and underneath their affection for each other there is an undeniable and irresistible attraction. But Chess doesn't do hookups and Finn doesn't do relationships so they are at an impasse.


“Pay attention, Chester. I said I want to know you. I don’t get to know my hookups.”
“So were going to… What? Be friends.”
He looks almost boyish then. “Yeah. We are.” His eyes spark. “Fair warning. I’ll still be picturing you naked half of the time. So get used to a bit of leering.”
I snort. “You just had to go and ruin the moment, didn’t you?”
“Probably should get used to that too.”

When Chess loses her home Finn doesn't hesitate and gives her a place to stay...and himself a place to come home to. So what, if he has been lying to himself all this time? What if what he wants with Chess is EVERYTHING? How can he convince her that he isn't the player she thinks him to be?

“I love coming home to you,” he says with a content sigh. “I have from day one. But now…” He glances down at me. “It makes it all worth it.”



When I say that I loved the two main characters of this story it's an understatement. There are no words to express how good and real they were.
Chess is strong, she doesn't show her belly to anyone except her best friend and often times not even to him. She is good at deflection but Finn is good at reading people and most of the time he knows exactly what she is doing and why. I loved that he was one step ahead of her most of the times.

“So don’t come at me with this, ‘we’re best friends’ bullshit when you want to use it to drive me away.”

Chess yearns for something real and profound and Finn gives her everything she needs at any given time. She needs his friendship and she has it, and when she is ready for more, he gives her that too. He goes by pure instinct where Chess is concerned and gets it right most of the times. He has a quiet kindness and thoughtfulness about him, the one that doesn't require a thank you. For Finn it is what it is. I am utterly in love with him.

“I’m crazy about you,” he says softly. “I don’t need time to figure that out.”
“I’m crazy about you too,” I whisper. “I’m just scared.”
Before I can blink, he leans in and gives me a firm kiss. It’s more tender than sexual. I need that more right now. How does he know to do that?

Where Finn goes by instinct, Chess is all reason and logic. She needs to feel safe and she does with Finn. But there are realities which might become insurmountable obstacles. And when they are finally being addressed they can make or break a relationship, depending on how you approach them.

Finn's and Chess' relationship develops at a deliciously slow burn. Their friendship and witty banter are my most favorite things in this book. Kristen Callihan is the Queen of hilarious inner monologues and funny dialogues.

“You know, if you colored your hair black, you’d make a pretty good young Elvis.”
She blinks up at me. “Do you know ‘Hound Dog’?”
“Cute.”
“‘ Jailhouse Rock’?”
“Now, Chester, ‘Don’t be Cruel’.”

They are also insanely hot together. Their chemistry is off the charts.
I'm sorry for going nuts with the quotes but I have so many favorites, I can't decide which one I like best.



There are books that touch me profoundly. The Hot Shot is one of those, it hits close to home and as we all know these are the stories that stay with us for a long time. I was not prepared for this book and it packed quite a punch. I didn't cry buckets but the last 15% were so angsty and emotional, Chess and Finn had my heart in such a tight grip, I teared up. A lot.

I adore Kristen Callhian's writing style, it's magical. It draws you in from the first page and doesn't let go until you're done. And even after you close the book the story resounds. These wonderful characters just won't let go.
I also love that it's located in New Orleans, which is one of my favorite cities in the US. I can see every street, every place vividly in my mind.
The side characters are pretty amazing too and I'm very much looking forward to Jake's story. I've read some really good books already this year but The Hot Shot will make my Best of 2017.


She smiles up at me, and my chest suddenly hurts. Ink black hair spread out like a fan on the sheets, bottle green eyes glinting with happiness, pretty pink mouth smiling wide, she’s the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen.
 “Oh, fuck, Chester Copper, I’m so gone on you. There’s no coming back from it.” I kiss those candy lips. “Haven’t you figured it out?” I say against them. “Every time I call you Chester, I’m saying I adore you. I fucking adore every part of you.”



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9